Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's Enough To Make You Sick

This is really a subject I would rather not think about let alone write about but I think I would be remiss if I didn't.

Yes, this is about the dreaded avian flu pandemic experts expect to eventually hit the U.S. For the last several years we know there has been a shortage of flu vaccine and it looks like this year we are in for more of the same (not that I have a lot of faith in flu vaccines).

Anywho, our friends at AlterNet bring us an article by Madeline Drexler, Thomas Paine.common sense, about the likely event and problems facing us if the avian flu does become a pandemic. I'll leave it to you to read and decide what you think about it.

There are several things in the article that turns my stomach...Washington must offer finanical incentives to drug companies so they wouldn't go broke making emergency vaccines [uh huh]. In case of a pandemic, drug companies must agree to suspend patent rights [well, that will never happen]. The federal government must accept all liability costs for pandemic costs [hehehe, oh my, these people crack me up]. The Bush Administration must lead an international campaign to prepare for, and defend against, the next flu pandemic [as if].

I'm here to tell you that if we don't know by now that those things just ain't never gonna happen (sorry for using the Texas dialect, but when I get upset that tends to happen) then we never will. As if the drug companies don't already make enough money hand over fist. blah blah blah

I have personally decided to do what I can to protect myself and my family because I have no faith in the Bush Administration caring enough about the little guy to do it. An excellent place to find out what you can do to protect yourself and those you love is Flu Wiki.

Btw, I just want to let everyone know I have a new invention coming out just in time for flu season. It is called tissue nose screws. When you go to bed at night just shove the tissue nose screws up your nose and wake up in the morning (provided you can sleep) with a clean face and pillowcase. Yep, I'm gonna make a ton of money off of these babies. heh heh

2 Comments:

Blogger Catnapping said...

LOL...you're from Texas? Good lord, it seems like everyone I know from the ether, these days, is from Texas.

I have a friend at Wordcrafting, who's from Texas, too. And another one who posts some beautiful haiku.
And then there's a political board I used to post at, that was loaded with Texans.

Are y'all taking over the planet?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Yes, I am from Texas. Isn't it encouraging to know there is at least one Liberal in Texas. :)

Before we take over the planet we need more Liberals.

I will check out the sites you linked. I looked in on yours and it is very interesting. The images are great!

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home